Alabama 41, LA Monroe 7
By Jay Reeves, AP Sports Writer
September 16, 2006

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. (AP) -- John Parker Wilson threw for 210 yards and two touchdowns in Alabama's best offensive performance of the season and the Crimson Tide beat Louisiana-Monroe 41-7 on Saturday night.

A week after the Crimson Tide (3-0) barely beat Vanderbilt, Wilson completed 13 of 21 passes without an interception against the Warhawks (1-2).

Wilson had scoring throws of 43 yards to D.J. Hall and 17 yards to Le'Ron McClain. The starter was on the sideline wearing a baseball cap early in the fourth quarter, and two backups saw action.

Kenneth Darby, who struggled to get into the open during the first two games but was the Tide's leading rusher last year, ran for a season-high 79 yards on 14 carries.

Tim Castille scored on a 3-yard run, and Keith Brown caught five passes for 82 yards for Alabama, which had 444 yards in offense to 196 for Louisiana-Monroe.

Louisiana-Monroe's lone touchdown came on Kinsmon Lancaster's 2-yard run in the second quarter.

Alabama fans have been looking for an offensive breakout since the Tide struggled to put away opponents in its first two games, a 25-17 victory over Hawaii and a 13-10 win over Vanderbilt.

Again, it took the Crimson Tide a while to overwhelm an overmatched Sun Belt Conference foe. The offense looked sluggish through much of three quarters.

The scoring troubles were on display right after halftime, when Alabama held the Warhawks to a punt and the Tide drove to the Louisiana-Monroe 3, where it was first and goal with Alabama up 17-7.

Rather than punching it in, Alabama had to settle for Leigh Tiffin's 25-yard field goal after three incomplete passes in the end zone by Wilson, one of which came after a false-start penalty.

Tiffin also kicked a 34-yard field goal, but was short from 44 yards.

Alabama's primary kicker from last year, Jamie Christensen, handled kickoffs after missing the first two games because of a groin injury.

Junior linebacker DeMarcus Waldrop started in place of Alabama leading tackler Juwan Simpson, who was in uniform but didn't play.

Simpson paid a $300 fine and entered a court-ordered drug program following his arrest on charges of marijuana possession and carrying a handgun without a license. He played in Bama's first two games, making a game-ending interception to help preserve the win over Vandy.